06/12/2015 Belgian National Championship

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by Stone on topic 06/12/2015 Belgian National Championship

thanks for feedback.
But I'm not sure I understand the "I don't have control over traffic" part.
The story on traffic doesn't tell if whoever was driving accounted for hiccups like traffic, or simply expected organizer to wait for him.
Either way, common sense is to have late players skip round 1 and attend tournament from round 2 instead. We routinely do this in Paris and players are now perfectly fine with this method.
I like you as a player and as person, Dennis, but to be honest when I read something like that from an organizer I'm definitely skeptical on whether it's worth to attend. I'm fine with an 8-player tournmament, but not if I miss a train or need to drop a final because timing wasn't properly enforced.
As you say, the tournament size depends on other nations attending. It's not rocket science that if several nations attend, then one needs to have good control over schedule because people can't just walk to the venue in 10 minutes. And the public is no longer just a bunch of guys in their 20ish who don't care if they're home at 4AM instead of 3AM.
It's already sad in itself Brussel reputation was damaged by that tournament when someone missed a train. Back when I had more time to play, I always advertised for Outpost. But I can't do that based on "well, you know, I can't control traffic, so if you miss your train, so there". Seriously...you enforce timing or you don't. "Don't" is mostly OK for an EC when 200 people will stay in the same hotel for days anyway. But not OK for a < 20 player tournament (well, not for me, but if you can get a crowd that's fine with it, good for you).
3 years 5 months ago #4447

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 45

Replied by D- on topic 06/12/2015 Belgian National Championship

Hi Stone,
The players that were stuck in traffic called and mentioned that they were going to be around 15 minutes later. I assumed that we would be able to catch up the lost time, instead of redoing all the table seatings. I don't remember the exact timing, but we definitely didn't go one hour past 21h.
In the mean time: Bram has registered.
3 years 5 months ago #4449

• Thank you received: 64

Replied by emime on topic 06/12/2015 Belgian National Championship

Hi all!

So, how is the situation evolving? Do we manage to get a "serious" event with at least 3 tables? Stone, please come along, we will do our utmost to finish on time (as always back in the days).

From my side, I will have a French visitor from the Netherlands over the weekend... and he is one of my old VTES pals from Swansea time. So you can add a player: Jeremie Pichereau!

Hope that many of you will be able to get to Brussels despite St. Nicolas (or because of it ;) )

Ciao!
E.
Emiliano "Sans Terre" - Wandering Player - Prince of Brussels
3 years 5 months ago #4475

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by Stone on topic 06/12/2015 Belgian National Championship

actually my wife was up for spending the week-end in Brussels. So we were supposed to book tickets last week-end.
Then there were the terrorists attacks and now my wife isn't comfortable with the idea. So I had been kind of mixing hesitating and procrastinating this week and then I saw your message.
but tickets prices have nearly doubled since last week..except for the 21:13 train, but I assume getting that train isn't reasonable.
I'll check later if prices go down, or if there is a promo or whatever weird evolution comes out of the tormented algorithm that handles french train prices.
The following user(s) said Thank You: emime
3 years 5 months ago #4479

• Thank you received: 33

Replied by borrelstein on topic 06/12/2015 Belgian National Championship

Update:
Ben will come as well, so at least 3 cheese-heads intend to come your way.
Maarten will make a last minute decision, depending on whether he can finish his Thesis in time, so we may be 4.
The following user(s) said Thank You: emime
3 years 4 months ago #4483

• Thank you received: 64

Replied by emime on topic 06/12/2015 Belgian National Championship

So Nick, Jonathan, Michel, Lucien,... Any news from your side??? :)

Will we be able to fill three tables, dodging the infamous number 11 and avoiding discussions about multidecking? :P
Emiliano "Sans Terre" - Wandering Player - Prince of Brussels
3 years 4 months ago #4502

Time to create page: 0.059 seconds